Thursday, June 2, 2011

Can anyone tell me how to change the engine oil and primary for a 2005 HD Softail?

Or send me to link? The owner's manual does not say anything about it other than to have it done. I assume that this is because they want you to pay for thier service.Can anyone tell me how to change the engine oil and primary for a 2005 HD Softail?The HD has whats called a dry sump so little or no oil in crank case. the oil tank has a line running down from it with a valve in the end, stick that in a receptical and open. Remove filter with filter wrench and put visqueen behind it for the mess. Replace oil. run and add for filter. right side of tranny in lower middle is allen screw and on top middle right is fill spot drain replace with 75-140 roal purple replace crankcase with 20w 50w mobile 1 v-twin primary same to 1/2 %26quot; on clutch.Can anyone tell me how to change the engine oil and primary for a 2005 HD Softail?yep, everything there is right. However I do not like Royal Purple and you should investigate before you add it to your primary. I have disassembled a clutch pack of a sporty which used royal purple and purple residue was thickly caked on the transmission spline and in the clutch pack, I ended up replacing all of the plates.



I use mobil 1 gear oil. Of course lots of people have an opinion on which gear oil is best, and I don't think there is one right answer.Can anyone tell me how to change the engine oil and primary for a 2005 HD Softail?When you do change it, use the best. They have an application for everything.



http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/defaultCan anyone tell me how to change the engine oil and primary for a 2005 HD Softail?Yeah, the owner's manual is pretty vague about fluid changes. I spent the $60 for a service manual. That plus the oils and filter are still less than the dealer charges for a service.