Thursday, June 2, 2011

I want to replace my 318 with a larger engine.?

I have a 64 Dodge Polara with a 318 and 727 Torqueflite and would like to change engine to either a 340 or a 383. How much more does the 383 weigh? I think the 340 would be a better fit do you agree?I want to replace my 318 with a larger engine.?id either go with a 340 or a 360 ,actually you can swap it to a 360 as easy as you can a 340 these days,and it will bolt right in to the bell housing you have now,and the amount of power you can get from it is enormous,i got a 67 belvedere with a 360 in it and it will literally scream when you get on it,this way you don't need to change the suspension or the k-frame on it,keep the 727 transmission in it as long as you can those are the best transmissions ever built for racing ,good luck.I want to replace my 318 with a larger engine.?go to edelbrock performance engines and look at the ones they have, they push well over 375 horse power and come with a good warranty,thats what i did was order one,its cheaper than trying to build one these days,it cost me around 1600.00 for the one i got,good luck.

Report Abuse

I want to replace my 318 with a larger engine.?The 340 is the same basic engine, so it should drop in. You could probably get the 383 in with factory parts, too, but I'm less sure about clearances.I want to replace my 318 with a larger engine.?383 or 440 will add around 200lbs stay with the 360 or better yet get the 360 crate motorI want to replace my 318 with a larger engine.?I agree with Dodge man, use a 360, everything bolts up. Big blocks will fit with ease except the 426 Hemi which got a little tight around the fender wells if I remember correctly. I think the '64's still used pushbuttons for the automatics which will cause a problem if you use a big block and a post '64 big block transmission, the PARK button becomes inoperative because of different linkage.I want to replace my 318 with a larger engine.?hi -



your best bet is a 360 crate motor as discussed above - I am less sure this is a bolt in as I think you likely have a %26quot;poly%26quot; rather than an %26quot;LA%26quot; 318 if it is an original motorI want to replace my 318 with a larger engine.?your cheapest and best way to go would be build a 360. if done right the way me and my buddy did for his 71 dart.he is geting a 1/8 mile at around 5.60