Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do I separate the engine from the transaxle?

I have 95 Bonneville engine that ran out of oil and seized. Since this is my first attempt at changing an engine, I am not sure how to separate the engine from the transaxle. Does the engine have to be able to turn to remove the flywheel bolts from the transaxle? Once I get all the bolts removed, do I just slide the engine away from the transaxle or does the engine just come straight up? The car rides nice so I want to give this one try. Thanks.How do I separate the engine from the transaxle?I have a yrs subscription to Alldata.com and it gives step by step instructions in pictures to help you with this procedure. Some times you have to get very violent with this job and I've also been very violent found out that I didn't pull the last bolt out and no matter how hard I hit it, it was going nowhere. Good luck my friend.How do I separate the engine from the transaxle?remove bolts pullHow do I separate the engine from the transaxle?Not familiar with that engine, but ordinarily the two just slide apart a few inches when the bell housing bolts are all removed. Sometimes they have a death grip on each other and have to be cracked apart with a chisel and some gentle tapping, and sometimes there is a bolt that was not visible at first, a problem that is more common on rear wheel drive cars. If there is a mystery bolt it will separate about a mm on the opposite side. It is important the transmission be supported so the input shaft isn't bent in the process.



It seems like an increasing number of FWD cars are designed for the engine and transmission to be dropped out the bottom as a unit. It would be worthwhile to get a Haynes manual, if available, to clarify the process on yours. A Chilton's will do in a pinch.How do I separate the engine from the transaxle?block up the transaxle, unbolt the bell housing and pull the motor.How do I separate the engine from the transaxle?make sure all bolts remove, and use pry bar to separate it. just don't drop on your toes